From Staff Reports, Las Cruces Sun-News
Published 11:06 a.m. MT July 30, 2019
New Mexico’s Tax-Free Weekend begins just after midnight Friday, Aug. 2 at and ends at midnight Sunday, Aug. 4. During this window of time, the state sales tax of 5.125% will be waived, along with local tax (which varies), for certain items.
Many of the tax-free items pertain to students and stores often promote back-to-school shopping.
Offers.com created a guide for tax-free weekend.
Sales tax will be waived on the following items:
- Clothing and shoes: Priced at $100 or less per unit.
- School and classroom supplies: Priced at less than $30 per unit.
- Computers: Up to $1,000. Includes desktop, laptops and notebook computers.
- Computer hardware: Up to $500. Includes monitors, speakers, printers, keyboards and more.
Products not exempt from sales tax:
- Antique clothing
- Athletic or sports uniforms
- Digital cameras
Tips for shopping New Mexico’s Tax-Free Weekend:
- If you put an item on layaway, it’s eligible for waived taxes only if final payment and delivery take place during tax-free weekend.
- Online, mail-order and telephone-order purchases are eligible for tax-free weekend if the item is both ordered paid for during tax-free weekend and if it’s billed to a New Mexico address.
- Gather your coupons and discounts. Retailer and manufacturer coupons and discounts stack with waived taxes to create an even bigger discount.
- Some retailers may waive sales taxes store wide, even on items New Mexico law says aren’t included in tax-free weekend.
More information is available at http://www.tax.newmexico.gov/tax-holiday.aspx.
Many in southern New Mexico plan to back-to-school shop in neighboring Texas. The Lone Star State’s tax-free weekend is Aug. 9 to 11.
Read more Back to School news:
- Las Cruces Public Schools classroom supply list 2019
- Las Cruces elementary schools welcome students to register, meet teachers
- City approves funding for second community school in Las Cruces
Read or Share this story: https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/local/new-mexico/2019/07/30/new-mexico-tax-free-weekend-back-to-school-sale-supply-items/1867205001/