Jacqueline Devine, Las Cruces Sun-News
Published 10:02 p.m. MT Oct. 14, 2019 | Updated 10:05 p.m. MT Oct. 14, 2019
LAS CRUCES – If you’re a fan of ABC’s “Dancing with the Stars” then you don’t want to miss this year’s New Mexico State University Dance Program’s “Look Who’s Dancing!” at 6 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 17, at the Pan American Center.
The NMSU DanceSport Company members partnered with local community “celebrities” in August and the teams have been practicing since then.
Ann Gavit, associate professor of dance at NMSU, said the program is in its 12th season and the purpose of the event is to promote social dancing in the community as a healthful and enjoyable activity for all ages and all skill levels to benefit the NMSU Dance Program.
“This is a major fundraiser for the NMSU dance program. The funding goes towards performances, costuming and student travel and scholarships,” Gavit said. “This is our version of ‘Dancing with the Stars,’ our local celebrities will compete for a mirror ball trophy.”
Each celebrity and their DSC partner will perform two dances in the competition. All of the celebrities will perform the waltz with their partner. The contestants will choose their second dance, which will include the mambo, quickstep, swing, hustle and the merengue among others.
This season’s celebrities range from a chief medical officer to a bar manager. They are:
- Sheryl Arvizu, wife of NMSU Chancellor Dan Arvizu, partnered with Pono Kaneao
- Dolores Gomez, chief medical officer at Memorial Medical Center, partnered with Danny Torres
- Mandy Guss, city’s economic development department spokeswoman, partnered with Nico Gastelum
- Andriena Martinez, director of marketing at Rehabilitation Hospital of Southern New Mexico, partnered with Thomas Dieten
- Jana Williams, a pediatrician at Full Bloom Pediatrics, partnered with Alex Donoghue
- Corey Cepeda, bar manager at High Desert Brewing Co., partnered with Karen Torres
- Thomas Drake, instructor at Doña Ana Community College and the Spotted Dog Brewery, partnered with Briana Garibay
- Jerramy Duran, office manager for Landmark Real Estate and Investments and Mr. Gay Texas, partnered with Crystal Miranda
- Moises Mascorro, agent with New Mexico State Police, partnered with Rebecca Strowles
- Marcos Ramirez, business and financial consultant, partnered with Julia Strowles
Competitors will vie for first, second and third place mirror ball trophies, the Entertainment Award, and the People’s Choice award.
You can help choose the couple who will win the People’s Choice award. Community members get to buy votes; you can drop money, at $1 increments, into the bins for the competitor you would like to vote for at the event.
Tickets are $20 for adults, $15 for students and seniors, and $5 for children under 12 at the door. Tickets for LWD competition are available from any LWD contestant, NMSU dance student, the NMSU Dance Program Office ,575-646-2070 and also at the Pan American Center Ticket Office, 575-646-1420.
Read or Share this story: https://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/local/community/2019/10/14/nmsu-dancesport-dance-program-new-mexico/3975354002/